Pages

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

How far would you go?

Wednesday, February 21, 2018
So within a day today, I have come across two FB articles about an 'active' shooting Drill that took place in the States in Febraury. American teachers recounted their thoughts, actions and fears.
Would teachers have to take the forefront to protect the lil ones, sacrificing their own lives in the course of doing so? So the student asked what if the teacher got shot, what would they do? What should they do?
Nobody knows the answer. Im perplexed. If i fail to protect them with my life, wouldnt parents regret leaving the kid in THIS school under the charge of THIS teacher? I dont think im befitting of this title as a teacher then.
That's if I reflect morally.

How far would you go?
To be very honest, I will do my best to secure the classroom and minimise dangers however, I will not jump in front of the bullet. I stand by my excuse, if it seems so to you, that I have to live for and care for the people I love. I have tasks undone. I have to look after my aging parents. I might have a family to provide for. With many people waiting for me, do I still have to sacrifice myself for Another's child?
This is an ethical dilemma.

I think, people take things for granted nowadays. I recalled teaching about earthquakes and how the Mt Kinabalu earthquake caused rockfall and killed SG students. My student exclaimed that The Teacher should have jumped out to cover the students and protect them!
After that lesson, Im aghast. How the teacher's life was deemed as disposable. Today at work, a colleague scoffed that shooting would never occur in SG (because we are strict), and why would they even come to ZHSS. Im slightly perturbed.
Yes a shooting might not occur but sth of a smaller scale might take place. Isnt it better to be safe than sorry?

During my school's lockdown drill, many thoughts crossed my mind. Sec 4 class in first floor with windows on both sides of the classroom. HOW???!!! So I instructed them to hide under the desk using their chairs as a shield, facing outwards towards both sides of the windows. Just in case, shooting occurs, there might be another fragile line of defense. It was both very exciting and apprehensive moments before the drill occurred. Tell me, what's a better solution than a drill?

Too much thoughts from today. How committed as a teacher are you? How much would you sacrifice, how far would you go? What's in the job scope of a teacher?

:( its perplexing.

No comments:

Content © -wanderlust-. All rights reserved.
Powered by Blogger.