Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2018

post-samui

Sunday, December 9, 2018
Im back from a short getaway at Ko Samui with K!  So transient it felt like I have not left Singapore at all as everything is as it was.
K said that I might have gone on the trip looking forward to a change in my life.

Initially, actually throughout the entire 4 days, I felt that Ko Samui, though a tourist resort island, was too rural for my liking.  Things were repetitive, life was slow. Too slow, perhaps.  Everyday's the same.  I knew that I am @citygal1991.
Yet when I am home, in STARK contrast, we strive for change. We strive to be better by the day.  I do not sit and watch the world go by, day after day.  In my freetime, I read Nat Geo and watch dramas, to increase my knowledge.  I work hard, knowing that I need money to build my future.  On TV, adverts promote change.  To enable people, to teach people and help people. We solve local and global issues.  We want change and we MAKE IT HAPPEN. 

This then struck me that I envy the Chang Beer seller in Ko Samui, who operates a small booth opposite the resort I briefly... rented (haha). 
Well, we visited this Chang Beer seller's mini bar on our last night for a drink.  The bar blasted pop which became retro music from a stereo set with simple wooden furniture.  He took breaks returning to the neighbouring hostel (to watch TV)? He would occasionally run back to the bar next door to see if we needed more drinks. haha. So cute. He wore some floral kinda hawaiian t-shirt.
Today, I spotted him in the day wearing the same shirt, sitting outside the hostel onlooking the few passing vehicles.  I suppose that's how his days go by.  Somedays, he earns more from drink sales, other rainy days, he earns nothing.  He passes his time by pumping along to old pop songs.
I envy the Chang Beer seller :p

And then, there's Tanya's quaint little well-decorated cafe.  When we entered, there not a customer in sight.  I believe this is the case for most part of the days there.  Nonetheless, Tanya was still sincere in her craft at brewing good quality coffee for us.  But, no one else seem to know of this little found treasure amidst the ruralness.  
I speculated that she might have studied overseas such as in Aussie, got hooked to cafe culture, came home, sourced for good quality beans and started her little cafe venture.
How surreal :p

I was afraid of the waves.  The waves and winds were so strong.  Geographer me feared that a tsunami might occur and 1000% certain that all the resorts would be gone.  The 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami in Aceh has triggered this caution, forever.  What if I was swept out to sea? What if the plane nosedived into the waters?  What ifs...?  Anyway, K held my hand tight and we strolled along the beach one day.  I took time to embrace my fears and appreciate what others did, frolicking in seafoam and munching on BBQ corn.

I want to end off by saying that I have found my travel mate cum soul mate. K who makes me feel so protected on foreign land, who guides me and teaches me to be more socially and self aware.  K helped me to realise my own behaviours (like greed? or child-like excitement?) that I was oblivious to, and to learn to be smarter such as handling finances haha.

Although there were some stormy parts of this trip, mostly over my own overwhelming emotions, I will never trade the travel experience with K for any other forms of play-date.

Some form of 'rural' in my life was eye-opening.  Never visited a BEACH RESORT.  Helps me to reflect.  Yet, now I wish to be stuck in the snail paced life from 4 days ago, watching the rain come and go.

Back to reality, @citygal1991.
I will never forget Chang Beer seller, and the beach with 'stormy' waves.


beach with stormy waves, just like my emotions that day...


- aystarsplash

P.S. Should I continue blogging, or back to pen and paper?

No comments:

Content © -wanderlust-. All rights reserved.
Powered by Blogger.